The Yeronga State School (YSS) P&C Association is a vibrant and active community of volunteer parents, staff and community members who work to support our children’s education through fundraising, creating connections and collaboration.
The P&C supports our school and children through:
- Fundraising to provide resources to enhance student learning and experiences
- Providing feedback on school programs, policies and activities
- Opportunities for parents and carers to be involved in their child’s education
- Encouraging positive community partnerships between parents, students and staff.
We provide a range of services for our school community including the Tuckshop, Uniform Shop and YOSHC, the Yeronga Out of School Hours Care program.
The P&C also offers several extracurricular activities including piano and guitar lessons, art classes, chess, and a variety of sporting activities. For more information about these and other P&C activities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org..
What’s your ‘just one thing’?
Research shows that parent involvement in a child’s education makes a significant contribution to the child’s success at school. We run many fun events during the year and we are always keen for a helping hand. You have an open invitation to get involved!
We support all interested parents and carers to engage with the school in whatever way they are able. Each year we invite our members, parents and school community to nominate ‘one thing’ they would like to do in a volunteer capacity to support our school through our ‘Just One Thing’ survey. A few of the activities that are made possible through parent and carer involvement include:
- Running the P&C Executive committee – a great way to help shape the future direction of our school
- Tuckshop volunteering (from as little as 2 hours a term), or baking muffins for the tuckshop on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday
- Annual fundraisers like the Easter Raffle, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day Stalls, and snow cone stalls
- Fete – every two years – our next one will be in 2021 (also the school’s 150th birthday year!)
- Garden Club and working bees to build and shape play spaces for our children
- Keeping parents informed and organised through weekly Parent Rep emails.
NOW is the perfect time to complete your Just One Thing survey!
Our Parent Representative (Parent Rep) Program provides a personal approach to building an inclusive and engaged school community.
The school has a designated Parent Rep Coordinator and each class has two Parent Representatives. The role of the Parent Rep is to strengthen the parent–school partnership, create a welcoming class atmosphere for new families, provide face to face support for parents and promote parent involvement within our school.
Here at Yeronga State School, we believe that the best way to improve our children’s educational environment and experiences is to encourage parents to work together with other parents, teachers and community members.
If you would like further information on the Parent Rep Program or how you can be involved as a parent at Yeronga State School, please email: Parent-Rep@yerongass.eq.edu.au.
Where do the funds go?
Our P&C members and school community work hard to raise funds for infrastructure, resources and programs for our school and children. Our most recent accomplishments include:
- Funding air conditioning for all classrooms throughout the school
- Creating two Nature Play areas and funding the Nature Play Master Plan to guide the development of new Nature Play areas across the school
- Funding a major acquisition of new instruments for the instrumental music program
- Enabling more children to access the instrumental music program through funding extra group music tuition
- Playgrounds/shade sails
- Tuckshop seating
- Hall fans
- EV3 robotic Lego kits
- Supporting children to participate in school organised excursions, incursions, camps and other activities
- Other resources